February 5, 2009

An Odd Bird

I just love a good chicken salad. My friend Glenda, who is just the best cook ever, gave me this recipe which she improvised. When she read off the ingredients to me, I was delightfully surprised, yet even happier after I had tasted it. Of course the main ingredient is chicken, but you can cook it any way that suits you. Naturally, I adapted it to the crockpot...

Chicken Salad

3 or 4 chicken breasts
1 cup white seedless grapes cut in half
1 1/2 cups pistachios, coursely chopped
1 1/2 cups mayo
1 1/2 teaspoons curry
1 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Place chicken breasts in the crockpot. Sprinkle with curry, ginger, and lemon juice. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours, or on high for 4 - 6 hours. When done, cut chicken into bite size pieces, then mix with grapes, mayo, and pistachios.

When I made this recently, much to my chagrin, I realized I was out of grapes. Since I had my mouth all set for a chicken salad sandwich, I substituted pineapple. Still great! Grapes will always be the best, but the pineapple was lovely, too.

Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment